Police officers injured in DWI accident
ORANGEBURG (WABC) -- The damage shows the impact of the crash -- twisted metal and broken glass on the Jetta that rammed into a police car.
A sergeant was knocked unconscious when his cruiser was rear-ended. The accident happened at 4:30 Thursday morning on Route 304 near route 59.
Orangetown Police Officer Matthew Sullivan had pulled over a woman for speeding. A few minutes later Sergeant Thomas Shutz's parked his car behind Officer Sullivan's.
"While sitting in their vehicles, Officer Sullivan was issuing the traffic summons and Sergeant Shutz was just there to provide assistance and keep an eye on the scene," Det. Lt. Jim Brown said.
That's when Benard Bohunicky, who police say was drunk, veered onto the shoulder and plowed into the sergeant's car, knocking it into the officer's cruiser.
All three men and a male passenger in Bohunicky's car were hospitalized.
"The officers were taken to the hospital. They're being treated for neck, back, knee injuries, things like that related to being hit so hard from behind," Brown said.
Bohunicky refused a breathalyzer test. He is now facing felony charges based on a number of previous DWIs.
He was arrested in Haverstraw by state police in 2005 and twice last year by Clarkstown Police for driving drunk. He was sentenced to probation and his license was suspended.
The town supervisor, who visited the injured cops, expressed his anger.
"There seems to be a history of bad behavior with this individual. Now they put in danger the life of two police officers who were out in the middle of the night doing their job protecting the public," Orangetown Town Supervisor Paul Whalen said.
The officers were treated and released from the hospital.
Bohunicky was also treated and released from the hospital, and then arraigned and ordered held on 50-thousand dollars bail.
rockland county, accident, police accident, local news, darla miles
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 16 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 25 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 55 min ago
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 46 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
46 min ago