Authorities charge 2 in hate crime holdups
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. (AP) - (WABC) -- Prosecutors on eastern Long Island have charged two suspects with targeting Hispanic victims for robbery.
A 30-count indictment unsealed Tuesday in a Riverhead, N.Y., courtroom charges 19-year-old Sean Allen and 18-year-old Felicia Smith with robbery as a hate crime and other offenses. They pleaded not guilty and were held on $300,000 bond.
Allen's attorney did return a call for comment; Smith was represented by Legal Aid, which does not comment on pending cases.
District Attorney Thomas Spota says the pair targeted Hispanics for robbery because they believed the victims carried a lot of cash. The victims were also targeted because they did not appear to speak English and were perceived unlikely to report the robberies to police.
long island, hauppauge, crime, hate crime, local news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases