Irvington police officer critical after pursuit crash
IRVINGTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- A police officer was critically injured after a hot pursuit ended in a crash in the Irvington section of Westchester County.
The incident began with a stolen car in Elmsford and a police chase that led to Irvington. The accident happened on South Broadway and Main Street Wednesday night around 9, as the officer was responding to the call that the chase was headed his way.
The officer, identified as Luigi Osso, is in critical but stable condition at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.
Both the officer's car and the blue Mustang that was the subject of the pursuit were so badly damaged, the drivers had to be cut out of their vehicles.
Published reports say the collision sent the police cruiser spinning several times before crashing into a pole.
"We heard a short skid and a large collision. The officer was completely unconscious and unresponsive. He looked like he was in really bad shape," eyewitness Michael Pelliccio said.
Police say the operator of the stolen vehicle was a 16-year-old boy from Connecticut. At this time, detectives are confirming his identity. He was extricated from his vehicle by the Irvington Volunteer Fire Department and sustained injuries to his back and legs. He transported to the Westchester Medical Center for treatment.
Osso, a 6-year police veteran who served with the Putnam County Sheriff's Office before joining the Irvington Police Department, was tended to by members of the Irvington and Dobbs Ferry Volunteer Ambulance Corp, as well as the Greenburgh Paramedics. Osso was extricated from his vehicle by the Irvington Volunteer Fire Department and transported to the Westchester Medical Center for treatment. Osso sustained severe head trauma and serious injuries to his entire body. He has undergone several surgeries.
westchester county, irvington, accident, police accident, local news, jamie roth
- FDNY divers search after report of 2 through ice 7 min ago
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 53 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013 11 min ago
- New York City issues snow alert 24 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 30 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Bronx building without heat for four days 2 min ago
- Mom of Newtown victim recalls that painful day 16 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
53 min ago