Cops injured in crash with alleged drunk driver
PASSAIC (WABC) -- A Passaic police officer is hospitalized, her partner also hurt, after a crash with a suspected drunk driver on busy Route 21.
Eyewitness News has learned the officer was seriously injured in the crash, in the highway's southbound lanes near Monroe Street, just after midnight.
She was rushed to St. Joseph's Hospital in Paterson. Her injuries were described as serious but not life threatening.
Officials say she was undergoing an MRI and cat scan for head and neck injuries.
It appears the officer and her partner were stopped on Route 21, conducting radar speed checks, when another car slammed into the back of their police cruiser.
The female officer took the brunt of the force of the crash. Her partner sustained less serious injuries, according to authorities.
The driver of the other vehicle was charged with driving while intoxicated and assault by auto.
new jersey, passaic county, drunk driving, police accident, local news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ