Transit supervisor killed on tracks in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- A transit worker died in an accident on the subway tracks in the Rockaway section of Queens Monday morning.
The accident happened 4:30 Monday morning.
Officials said track Supervisor James Knell, 45, came into contact with the electrified third rail at the Beach 90th Street A S Station in Queens.
Knell, an MTA New York City Transit employee for 13 years and a Supervisor for the past 9 years, was part of the crew working on a station rehabilitation project in the Rockaways.
He was killed instantly.
The incident occurred shortly before the area was to be returned to service for the Monday morning rush.
A and S trains were suspended between Rockaway Park-Beach 116 Street and Broad Channel stations. Shuttle bus service was set up.
"We lost one of our own this morning and labeling this incident a tragedy is a painful statement of the obvious," said MTA NYC Transit President Thomas F. Prendergast.
An investigation is underway to determine what led to the accident.
James Knell was a resident of East Rockaway, Long Island. He is survived by his wife and two step-children.
In a statement, the MTA wrote, "The thoughts and prayers of the entire MTA NYC Transit family are with the extended family, friends and loved ones of Supervisor Knell during this difficult time."
A transit spokesman says it's their first fatality in three years.
new york city, local news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 54 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 36 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos