Laura Garza's remains identified by police
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A forensic pathologist will examine the remains of Laura Garza to determine the cause of her death.
Garza's intact skeletal remains were found two weeks ago in a field near Scranton, Pennsylvania.
She disappeared after leaving the Marquee Nightclub in Chelsea on December 3, 2008.
A man riding an ATV found her remains in a field outside Scranton.
It's not the final chapter Garza's family wanted for their beloved but it is closure.
Laura Garza's brother in Texas, reacted to the grim news that Laura's body was finally found, in a wooded area near Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Laura Garza disappeared 16 months ago on a cold December morning.
She was last seen leaving a Chelsea nightclub with Michael Mele, a sex offender who has since been sent back to jail for a parole violation.
Police say he has never cooperated with the investigation into her disappearance.
Volunteers spent countless hours searching for the vivacious 25-year-old, especially in Orange County where Mele lived, but they never found her body.
Some ATV riders made the discovery on April 11th. Along with the DNA evidence, investigators also recovered a Michael Kors watch found near the body. Eyewitness News obtained a picture of Garza with what appears to be the very same watch.
DNA results confirmed it was Garza.
Detectives are now searching for additional evidence to tie Mele with her death.
She was a young woman who came to New York to find stardom as a dancer.
Monday night, a victims rights group says it hopes to fly her family to New York to collect what little is left of Laura Garza.
body found, laura garza, local news, lucy yang
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 18 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl 38 min ago
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 19 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
42 min ago