Woman charged with DWAI after killing cyclist
LAKE GROVE (WABC) -- A woman is charged with DWAI after killing a woman out for an evening bicycle ride in Miller Place.
"I'm sad for the world, she was an angel," said the victim's husband, Michael Slovitsky.
Michael Slovitsky is still in a state of shock.
Speaking about his wife, the partner he cherished in so many ways, brought tears to his eyes.
"If you knew her you'd love her, such a good, good person," said Slovitsky.
It was Sunday evening, at around 6pm, 46-year-old Kathryn Underdown was riding her bike near Hunter Avenue in Miller Place, when police say she was mowed down by Nicole Shellard.
The 32-year-old was behind the wheel of her 2004 Hyundai and admittedly high on prescription drugs, including a medicine to treat Opiate addiction.
Shellard went on to slam into another car before coming to a complete stop.
"Her speech was impaired, and upon interview, under the influence of drugs," said Detective Sgt. James Madden.
Police say prior to the ax, they were flooded with 911 calls about Shellard driving erratically on Route 25A.
"I hope this woman looks in the mirror. Kathryn had so many friends and I'm never going to be able to see her again," said the victim's brother, Kevin Underdown.
The investigation is continuing. Detectives ask anyone with information to contact the Sixth Squad at 631-854-8652 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 800-220-TIPS.
long island, drunk driving, local news, lauren defranco
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade 13 min ago
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
41 min ago