Woman charged with DWAI after killing cyclist
LAKE GROVE (WABC) -- A woman is charged with DWAI after killing a woman out for an evening bicycle ride in Miller Place.
"I'm sad for the world, she was an angel," said the victim's husband, Michael Slovitsky.
Michael Slovitsky is still in a state of shock.
Speaking about his wife, the partner he cherished in so many ways, brought tears to his eyes.
"If you knew her you'd love her, such a good, good person," said Slovitsky.
It was Sunday evening, at around 6pm, 46-year-old Kathryn Underdown was riding her bike near Hunter Avenue in Miller Place, when police say she was mowed down by Nicole Shellard.
The 32-year-old was behind the wheel of her 2004 Hyundai and admittedly high on prescription drugs, including a medicine to treat Opiate addiction.
Shellard went on to slam into another car before coming to a complete stop.
"Her speech was impaired, and upon interview, under the influence of drugs," said Detective Sgt. James Madden.
Police say prior to the ax, they were flooded with 911 calls about Shellard driving erratically on Route 25A.
"I hope this woman looks in the mirror. Kathryn had so many friends and I'm never going to be able to see her again," said the victim's brother, Kevin Underdown.
The investigation is continuing. Detectives ask anyone with information to contact the Sixth Squad at 631-854-8652 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 800-220-TIPS.
long island, drunk driving, local news, lauren defranco
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 46 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 17 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 19 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 58 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 50 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos