Schools look to ban Silly Bandz
HUNTINGTON, Long Island (WABC) -- Some educators are telling students to keep the popular Silly Bandz out of the classroom, calling them distracting.
It might be known for its inventive confections, but these days the hottest thing to buy at Huntington's Sweeties Candy Cottage is decidedly low calorie.
"It's the fasted spreading fad that anybody's seen in terms of toys,," owner Lisa Hodes said.
And tweens are going crazy over Silly Bandz.
They're multicolored bracelets in all different shapes and colors, and they've captivated thousands of kids like brothers Johnnie and Frankie, who came with their mom after school.
"I love how they're different colors and different shapes, and I like how they're called silly," said one of the brothers.
With kids spending every waking moment wearing, trading and desperately coveting the bracelets, more and more educators say they're becoming a distraction in the classroom.
Across Long Island, school districts are having to set policies regarding Silly Bandz with some schools, banning them altogether.
At Huntington's Finley Middle School, Principal John Amato is toughing it out for now.
"In my 20 years, yo-yos, things like that, typical fads, they come and they go," he said. "And we're expecting this one to go very quickly."
The cost of the bands are $3 a pack, and business owners are hoping the fad doesn't fade any time soon.
long island, huntington, local news, josh einiger
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway 36 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 18 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos