Flight returns to Newark following mechanical issues
NEWARK (WABC) -- A Continental airlines flight landed safely at Newark International Airport, after blowing a tire on takeoff, and a hydraulics issue.
A Continental spokesperson tells Eyewitness News, Flight 9 from Newark to Tokyo took off at 11 a.m. when the pilot declared an emergency and had to dump off much of the aircraft's fuel in order to return the flight safely.
The flight had 275 passengers and 16 crew members on board made the safe landing at 12:15 p.m., once the plane had a safe landing weight following dumping fuel.
Some 911 call centers in New Jersey were flooded with calls of concerned residents who said they could see the aircraft dumping the fuel.
"The house shook a little bit, it went away, and then we heard it again," said Rob Thomas.
Thomas, a private pilot knew what it meant when steam was coming out of the engines.
"It was dumping fuel, and you can see the fuel trails coming out of the wings and it had its landing gear down."
The control tower had noticed there was more venting than normal out of the wings.
Thomas guesses the pilot dropped 50 to 75 percent of the fuel on board. He thinks a problem with the tires set off a larger problem in the air.
The aircraft was searched and towed to the gate where passengers deplaned.
A different plane was later put into service to fly the passengers to Narita International Airport in Tokyo.
new jersey, newark liberty international airport, emergency landing, local news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Tornado touched down near Copake
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City 35 min ago
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos