Pit bull shot on Long Island
East Setauket, NY (WABC) -- Police and the SPCA are investigating after a pit bull was shot and killed on Long Island.
Timothy Devine, 43, called 911 to report a loose pit bull in East Setauket.
He says he saw kids yelling and saw Nana, the 4-year-old pit bull, approach a young girl.
Devine says he got the dogs attention and she came within 5 feet of him. But he claims he couldn't make it inside of his home on Quail Lane, so he shot Nana once.
Police say he does have a valid pistol permit and it is a properly registered gun.
Nana wandered back to her home on Partridge Lane and died on the front steps.
So far, no charges have been filed.
Police say there was one prior documented account of a vicious pit bull in the area last year.
long island, dog, dog attack, local news
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport 2 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Records: Man in movie theater shooting also was texting
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday