Boy recovers from pit bull attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In many ways, he looks like a typical 6-year-old, but few kids have been through what Frankie Flora has endured.
Frankie was attacked by a pit bull a little over a year ago.
Eyewitness News was first to bring you Frankie's story while he was in critical condition at Maria Fareri Children's Hospital in Valhalla.
He needed more than 1,000 stitches to close the 80 lacerations on his face and hand.
His doctor says it was the worst mauling he'd seen in over a decade.
Frankie's recovery has been so remarkable, he's been named an ambassador for the Children's Miracle Network.
The network's sponsor, Wal-mart, presented him with a $500 gift card to help him get ready for a trip next month to the White House.
Frankie still has some hearing loss and nerve damage in his hand, and there are many more operations still ahead.
But you'd hardly know it though when you look at his smiling face.
Frankie is also getting a trip to Disney World in November.
dog attack, westchester county, local news, marcus solis
- Winter Weather Advisory 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream 59 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
54 min ago