Calls for justice Peekskill attack
PEEKSKILL, NY (WABC) -- There are new calls for justice in Peekskill following the vicious attack of an Ecuadorian man.
Julio Serrano, 40, was the victim of a vicious beating last weekend in Peekskill. He remained in a coma on Wednesday.
Serrano, an Ecuadorian immigrant, was walking on Nelson Avenue early Saturday morning when he was initially confronted and punched.
Surveillance video shows Serrano, 40, walking into a courtyard holding his face. He staggers up a set of steps and sits down. Seconds later he hears the group approaching and tries to flee inside a building. The suspects race into the courtyard and follow him in.
Serrano was blocked by a locked door. Within ten seconds the suspects emerge, police say after they punched, kicked and stomped the victim.
Serrano is in a coma, with skull and rib fractures. A kidney was removed on Monday. Police have arrested three suspects: 23-year old Jarron Sligh, 23-year old Ronnie Juett and 18-year old Keith Walker.
A fourth suspect is being sought. Police say the group may have been involved in two other assaults the same night.
Representatives from the Ecuadorian consulate met with the Serrano family Tuesday. They are trying to secure an emergency visa allowing Serrano's mother to visit. In the meantime, they wonder if this should be treated as a hate crime.
As of now the suspects are charged with gang assault, but not a hate crime.
It's a very serious case, says Serrano's sister. She said today it's her brother, tomorrow it could be someone else.
peekskill, westchester county, new york state, local news, marcus solis
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 28 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 45 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event 58 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday 47 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos