Chase comes to a deadly end near GWB
FORT LEE (WABC) -- A police chase came to a violent end on the George Washington Bridge early Friday.
It was 3:45 a.m. When Ridgefield Park police say they saw a motorcycle driving erratically.
When they tried to pull over the driver over, they say he took off.
Another cruiser joined in the chase eastbound on Route 46.
Within minutes, the driver, who police identify as Israel Curbelo, approached the GWB.
He hit a car, was thrown from the bike and died there in front of the bridge.
One man told me his brother was one of the bikers.
He said he was with him until 1:00 Friday morning in New York City, so he had no idea what happened between then and the time of the chase.
Traffic was immediately backed up, and remained that way through the morning rush.
The Bergen County Prosecutor is leading the investigation. According to the prosecutor's office, police detected alcohol on Curbelo when they were trying to revive him. They say they also found marijuana on him.
The big question now is did police follow the proper guidelines for a police chase?
The prosecutor's office will now have to figure that out.
new jersey, george washington bridge, police chase, police accident, local news, phil lipof
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford 32 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing 42 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos