Chase comes to a deadly end near GWB
FORT LEE (WABC) -- A police chase came to a violent end on the George Washington Bridge early Friday.
It was 3:45 a.m. When Ridgefield Park police say they saw a motorcycle driving erratically.
When they tried to pull over the driver over, they say he took off.
Another cruiser joined in the chase eastbound on Route 46.
Within minutes, the driver, who police identify as Israel Curbelo, approached the GWB.
He hit a car, was thrown from the bike and died there in front of the bridge.
One man told me his brother was one of the bikers.
He said he was with him until 1:00 Friday morning in New York City, so he had no idea what happened between then and the time of the chase.
Traffic was immediately backed up, and remained that way through the morning rush.
The Bergen County Prosecutor is leading the investigation. According to the prosecutor's office, police detected alcohol on Curbelo when they were trying to revive him. They say they also found marijuana on him.
The big question now is did police follow the proper guidelines for a police chase?
The prosecutor's office will now have to figure that out.
new jersey, george washington bridge, police chase, police accident, local news, phil lipof
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 51 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 50 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act