CT National Guardsman killed in Afghanistan
DATE -- A member of the Connecticut National Guard has been killed in Afghanistan.
Gov. M. Jodi Rell's office says 28-year old Staff Sgt. Edwin Rivera of Waterford died Tuesday night after being shot on May 20 in Afghanistan's Laghman Province.
Rivera was a member of the 1st Battalion, 102nd Infantry Regiment, one of two Connecticut National Guard units that were deployed in the region late last year.
Gov. Rell ordered all state flags be flown at half staff until sundown on the day of Rivera's interment. Funeral arrangements were incomplete Wednesday.
Rell called Rivera's death heartbreaking and said it will add greater poignancy to Memorial Day observances this weekend.
u.s. military, connecticut, local news
- School bus overturns in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 8 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 27 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 53 min ago
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 5 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 36 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 9 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 57 min ago
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident 3 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
27 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
36 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
57 min ago