CT National Guardsman killed in Afghanistan
DATE -- A member of the Connecticut National Guard has been killed in Afghanistan.
Gov. M. Jodi Rell's office says 28-year old Staff Sgt. Edwin Rivera of Waterford died Tuesday night after being shot on May 20 in Afghanistan's Laghman Province.
Rivera was a member of the 1st Battalion, 102nd Infantry Regiment, one of two Connecticut National Guard units that were deployed in the region late last year.
Gov. Rell ordered all state flags be flown at half staff until sundown on the day of Rivera's interment. Funeral arrangements were incomplete Wednesday.
Rell called Rivera's death heartbreaking and said it will add greater poignancy to Memorial Day observances this weekend.
u.s. military, connecticut, local news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos