Energy drink or alcohol?
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- It's the latest craze in energy drinks, but "Four Loko" is a lot more than just a brightly colored beverage.
"The kids have a nickname for it, they're basically calling it coke in a can," said White Plains Public Safety Commissioner, David Chong.
They don't mean Coke-a-Cola.
A can of Four Loko is twice the size of a can of soda, and packed with even more caffeine and sugar to counteract its astonishing alcohol content, of 12%.
With its very fine print, it looks like any other energy drink.
White Plains Public Safety Commissioner, David Chong says the price is right for cash-strapped teens.
"This is 24 ounces and you can get this for under three dollars, so it's cheaper than a beer," Chong said.
It is legal to sell Four Loko, to adults.
One 7 Eleven stocks it in the beer section.
Managers say they empty three cases on an average Friday night, though only to people with proper ID.
Still, cops say its minors who are getting sick.
Recently, at least four White Plains teenagers landed in the hospital.
"One night I was at the park and this girl had alcohol poisoning, she was throwing up we had to call the cops, that was because of Four Lokos," said James Thomas.
Now, police are planning a retail crackdown, as they warn parents about these tantalizing beverages that pack quite a punch.
white plains, local news, josh einiger
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 19 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 36 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event 49 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday 38 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos