Abandoned and starved Doberman saved
CENTERREACH, NY (WABC) -- A small Doberman pinscher mix was initially nicknamed "Bones" by his rescuers.
He's now being hailed as a miracle on four legs.
The small dog was rescued on a wing and a prayer that he would survive.
SPCA officials say Bones was left by his owner in an abandoned Centerreach home.
Bones was stuck in a hot room with no food or water.
In a weak and emaciated state, the dog somehow got the energy to bark.
A neighbor heard that cry for help and alerted police.
Cops were able to track down 21-year-old Ozkan Guleryuz.
It's not clear why he deserted such a loving animal, but luckily the dog was discovered and treated by Long Island vet specialists in Plainview.
He was just 19 pounds, severely dehydrated, and on the verge of dying.
Now they've renamed the dog Justin for "just in time."
He's expected to make a full recovery.
long island, dog, animal abuse, animals, local news, lauren defranco
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session 55 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 50 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300 23 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
50 min ago