Police impersonator warning in Nassau Co.
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police released a sketch of a man they say tried to terrorize two drivers while impersonating a police officer on Sunday night.
"I have five kids and a wife and if they pull me over, what's the reason?" said Kato Peragine of Baldwin.
The first incident, happened on Grand Avenue in Baldwin.
Police say the suspect, drove in a white Mitsubishi, and slammed into the driver's door of another car, boxing the other driver in and forcing him to pull over.
He then flashed a badge and demanded the driver's license.
The victim escaped the car and ran across the street to this firehouse, where he called for help.
The fake cop drove away, only to strike again just 90 minutes later.
The next time it was at the intersection of Merrick and Front in East Meadow.
Police say he forced another car to the side of the road.
That driver also managed to get away.
Detectives say they have no idea what the police impersonator was after, or if he's targeted anyone else.
"Whatever the intent may be it is obviously very dangerous for somebody to be confronted by someone posing as a police officer when they're in fact not. Who knows what could happen? Could be abducted, could be robbed," said a Nassau County police officer.
The real police say they're confronting more and more impersonators lately.
So far this year, in Nassau County, more than 14 people have reported contact with a fake cop.
long island, police impersonation, local news, josh einiger
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
58 min ago