Deli workers fight off armed robbers
QUEENS (WABC) -- Workers at a deli in Queens managed to fight off armed robbers.
It happened in the Lantigua Deli on 14th Street in Astoria on Saturday at 7:20 a.m.
Two men walked into the deli and demanded money from the register at gunpoint.
The workers decided to fight the first suspect, during which a round was fired from the suspect's gun.
Fortunately, no one was injured.
The workers managed to subdue him and, during that time, the second suspect and another man outside ran away.
Police arrived a short time later and arrested 24-year-old Jose Cruz of Brooklyn.
Cruz is charged with robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment.
Police recovered a .40-caliber Glock firearm from Cruz.
Investigators released a photo of the second suspect, who remains on the run, along with at least one other man.
The second suspect is described as a Hispanic man, age 30 to 40, 5-foot-10, 250 pounds and wearing all black.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
You can also submit your tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting your tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and then entering TIP577.
new york city, astoria, queens, robbery, local news, lucy yang
- London attack could be terror-related, officials say 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Hats get women ejected from mall 43 min ago
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos