Suspect claims officer beat him
CONCORD (WABC) -- Emzo Yildiz says if anyone is the victim, it's him. Yet he's now charged with felony assault after a road rage incident with an off-duty cop.
It happened on Targee Street on Staten Island Tuesday morning when both Emzo and the cop tried to change lanes at the same time.
"The guy's using the f-word and then he showed me the finger, doing the whole thing, jumping and yelling and going crazy," Emzo Yildiz said.
Emzo insists the officer, Anthony Egan, never identified himself and that when Emzo gestured to ask him what he thought he was doing, Egan turned violent.
"He hit me, and as soon as I see his hand to my face and I feel pain in my forehead," Yilduz explained.
A spokesman for police insists that because Eemzo was coming at the officer in a threatening manner, the officer defended himself and that Eemzo did eventually throw a punch. The officer suffered a cut to the back of his head and an abrasion to his eye.
Emzo and a friend, who was two cars down at the time, tell a much different story. They say at least 10 other officers from Egan's precinct soon showed up, immediately arresting Emzo and protecting their friend.
"All of those guys -- none of 'em deserve to wear their badge, if they're gonna cover something like that up," Cliff Browning said.
Emzo says he was left bleeding at the 120th precinct for 2 hours before police even took him to the hospital. Then he was brought back to the precinct for another 30 hours.
This Turkish immigrant who just became a U.S. Citizen three weeks ago could face up to 7 years behind bars.
His lawyer is demanding a thorough investigation.
"Speak to all of the witnesses who saw this," attorney Marc Geisser said.
And he says take a long, hard look at his client's 2 black eyes.
new york city, staten island, police abuse allegation, police, local news, stacey sager
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line 9 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire 32 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
11 min ago