Unidentified man beaten to death in West New York
WEST NEW YORK, N.J. (WABC) -- The victim still has not been identified. A passerby found him bleeding from his injuries on the sidewalk early Sunday morning.
As a paramedic for 14 years in New York, Angie Munch had just about seen it all. Then a man was beaten to death in front of her Internet cafe early Sunday morning.
"It's pretty sad. There have been a lot of assaults in the area and it's getting a lot more frequent," Angie Munch said.
The man was found here at 424 61st Street in West New York at 5:00 a.m. Sunday. He was barely alive, and died later that day.
Police say he carried no identification, but that his pockets were turned out as though he had been robbed.
"I work here. I'm a mail carrier. You're always looking out and you want to be in a safe place," Irina Briceno said.
The victim is described as a Hispanic man in his 30s. He was heavyset, standing 5 feet-6 inches and weighing 200 pounds. He was wearing black pants and a white shirt, leading some investigators to speculate whether he worked in a restaurant and was either heading out or returning home from his shift early Sunday.
"Somebody died and I am scared," Gustavo Montero said.
The beating happened just one block away from the West New York police headquarters, just a few hours before the start of the popular Cuban Day festival.
"It's scary to know someone was just there," Leo Hernandez said.
Several people in this area mentioned growing concerns about gangs in this area. Police have promised more patrols.
At the same time, they're trying to identify the victim, and figure out who killed him.
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve 7online.com
new jersey, west new york, crime, murder, assault, local news, jen maxfield
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 54 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos