Police shoot man wielding a knife
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- Police officers were forced to shoot a knife-wielding man in Brooklyn overnight.
The confrontation began at 11:30 Friday night on Linden Boulevard in Flatbush.
Police say 19-year-old Stanley Cherenfant threatened them with an 11-inch kitchen knife with a six-inch blade.
Police tried to stop Cherenfant with pepper spray, but it had no effect on him so they shot the suspect once in the abdomen.
Cherenfant was taken to Kings County Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.
Police said an eleven-inch kitchen knife with a six-inch blade was recovered at the scene.
Cherenfant is charged with menacing and criminal possession of a weapon.
crime, shooting, police shooting, brooklyn, new york city, flatbush, local news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Orange County school evacuated after ceiling collapse
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos