White Plains officer dies in the line of duty
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- A White Plains police officer has died in the line of duty.
Authorities said he collapsed after chasing and arresting a suspect on Saturday afternoon.
Michael Perry, 43, was a 7 year veteran of the White Plains Police Department.
He had called for assistance with a larceny suspect at the entrance to Macy's Court Square.
Officer Perry chased the suspect on foot, apprehended him at Court and Main and brought him back to police headquarters.
Perry collapsed after arriving a police headquarters, officials said.
He was taken to White Plains Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5:30 p.m. with his family by his side.
The cause of death has not been determined.
He is the first White Plains officer to die in the line of duty in six decades.
Perry is survived by his wife and two children.
The suspect was identified as Rickey Pryor, 53.
Investigators said Pryor is a career criminal with more than 300 arrests.
He has been charged with resisting arrest and larceny in this case.
white plains, westchester county, police chase, police officer dies, crime, local news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 16 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 16 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 7 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 50 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 7 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 39 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
7 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos