New trial in Ecuadorean beating death case
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man accused of killing an Ecuadorian immigrant is back in court in Brooklyn for a new trial Monday.
Jose Sucuzhanay was beaten to death with a baseball bat in Bushwick in 2008.
The first murder trial of Keith Phoenix ended in a mistrial after one juror refused to continue deliberating.
Selection of a new jury resumes.
Prosecutors say Phoenix yelled racial and anti-gay slurs at the victim.
Phoenix claims he was provoked.
new york city, immigrants, local news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years 45 min ago
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela 2 min ago
- Reaction to death of Nelson Mandela 12 min ago
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 2 min ago
- Who is Bill Bratton? 3 min ago
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos