USS Intrepid joins list to honor Mother Teresa
NEW YORK -- The USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is the latest site to announce it will honor Mother Teresa on what would have been her 100th birthday.
Museum Executive Director Susan Marenoff said Monday that it will illuminate the aircraft carrier in the blue and white colors of Mother Teresa's order on Aug. 26.
The announcement came after the Empires State Building said it would not light up the iconic skyscraper because of a policy of not honoring religious figures.
On Monday, the Hutchinson Metro Center said it too would light its 14-story office complex in the Bronx in blue and white on Mother Teresa's birthday.
Last week, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn called for a day of service to honor the late Nobel Prize winner.
new york city, christine quinn, empire state building, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 50 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings 46 min ago
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 28 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 44 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos