USS Intrepid joins list to honor Mother Teresa
NEW YORK -- The USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is the latest site to announce it will honor Mother Teresa on what would have been her 100th birthday.
Museum Executive Director Susan Marenoff said Monday that it will illuminate the aircraft carrier in the blue and white colors of Mother Teresa's order on Aug. 26.
The announcement came after the Empires State Building said it would not light up the iconic skyscraper because of a policy of not honoring religious figures.
On Monday, the Hutchinson Metro Center said it too would light its 14-story office complex in the Bronx in blue and white on Mother Teresa's birthday.
Last week, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn called for a day of service to honor the late Nobel Prize winner.
new york city, christine quinn, empire state building, local news
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages 5 min ago
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train...
1 min ago
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher...
5 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
50 min ago