USS Intrepid joins list to honor Mother Teresa
NEW YORK -- The USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is the latest site to announce it will honor Mother Teresa on what would have been her 100th birthday.
Museum Executive Director Susan Marenoff said Monday that it will illuminate the aircraft carrier in the blue and white colors of Mother Teresa's order on Aug. 26.
The announcement came after the Empires State Building said it would not light up the iconic skyscraper because of a policy of not honoring religious figures.
On Monday, the Hutchinson Metro Center said it too would light its 14-story office complex in the Bronx in blue and white on Mother Teresa's birthday.
Last week, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn called for a day of service to honor the late Nobel Prize winner.
new york city, christine quinn, empire state building, local news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 37 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident