Designers unveil outdoor mannequins
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Organizers took the wraps off outdoor mannequins for a fashion-forward art ensemble in the Garment District of Manhattan.
They're part of a public art installation that aims to promote the fashion district. Some designers faced their biggest challenge yet: creating waterproof clothing.
Some of the biggest names in the fashion were featured in this art exhibit of 32 mannequins, including Carlos Falchi, famous for his leather handbags.
"We thought how can we create an event that's a tourist attraction as well as expresses what this neighborhood is all about," said Falchi.
While there are some top designers, some new ones will showcase their work as well. After winning a contest, two students from Parsons School of Design will showcase their designs in the art exhibit.
The mannequins are dolled up and have already struck their poses on Broadway between Times Square and Herald Square. They will be up until Labor Day.
new york city, manhattan, fashion, times square, local news, lauren glassberg
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ