Designers unveil outdoor mannequins
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Organizers took the wraps off outdoor mannequins for a fashion-forward art ensemble in the Garment District of Manhattan.
They're part of a public art installation that aims to promote the fashion district. Some designers faced their biggest challenge yet: creating waterproof clothing.
Some of the biggest names in the fashion were featured in this art exhibit of 32 mannequins, including Carlos Falchi, famous for his leather handbags.
"We thought how can we create an event that's a tourist attraction as well as expresses what this neighborhood is all about," said Falchi.
While there are some top designers, some new ones will showcase their work as well. After winning a contest, two students from Parsons School of Design will showcase their designs in the art exhibit.
The mannequins are dolled up and have already struck their poses on Broadway between Times Square and Herald Square. They will be up until Labor Day.
new york city, manhattan, fashion, times square, local news, lauren glassberg
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 22 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car 32 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash 13 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse