9-year-old in Brooklyn shot in fight over bicycle
CANARSIE (WABC) -- A 15-year-old was charged with shooting a 9-year-old boy over a stolen bicycle in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn.
Police say Ronnell Gurley was shot in the arm after going to a store on Williams Avenue at around 9 p.m. Thursday. He was rushed to Brookdale Hospital in stable condition.
The shooting stemmed from the theft of the boy's bicycle, which was stolen earlier in the day.
When the victim exited the store, he spotted the suspected bicycle thief among a group of teens. He confronted the group, and one of the members pulled a gun and fired numerous times.
The boy was struck once.
At least six people, including the suspected gunman, were taken into custody at the scene.
The 15-year-old was charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, acting in a manner to injure a child and harassment.
He will be treated as a juvenile.
A 19-year-old, also a member of the group, was charged with criminal possession of stolen property, which was the bike.
new york city, carnarsie, brooklyn, shooting, local news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- No remains found in latest Jimmy Hoffa search 27 min ago
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth 35 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies 21 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Bear the police dog 37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos