9-year-old in Brooklyn shot in fight over bicycle
CANARSIE (WABC) -- A 15-year-old was charged with shooting a 9-year-old boy over a stolen bicycle in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn.
Police say Ronnell Gurley was shot in the arm after going to a store on Williams Avenue at around 9 p.m. Thursday. He was rushed to Brookdale Hospital in stable condition.
The shooting stemmed from the theft of the boy's bicycle, which was stolen earlier in the day.
When the victim exited the store, he spotted the suspected bicycle thief among a group of teens. He confronted the group, and one of the members pulled a gun and fired numerous times.
The boy was struck once.
At least six people, including the suspected gunman, were taken into custody at the scene.
The 15-year-old was charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, acting in a manner to injure a child and harassment.
He will be treated as a juvenile.
A 19-year-old, also a member of the group, was charged with criminal possession of stolen property, which was the bike.
new york city, carnarsie, brooklyn, shooting, local news
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 46 min ago
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos