NJ dealing with 3 fires, including 1 on Fort Dix
BARNEGAT, N.J. -- New Jersey's Forest Fire Service is working on three fires in the state's tinder-dry Pinelands, including one on Fort Dix.
The forest fire service's Bill Edwards says the Army base's fire department called for help around noon Monday.
A blaze on the firing ranges there was up to about 120 acres and could grow to about 1,400 acres, he says.
While that is a big forest fire by New Jersey standards, Edwards says it's not much of a threat because it's likely to stay on isolated military property.
But he says a four-acre fire in a swampy area of Evesham Township could threaten nearby homes.
A third fire that started over the weekend in Ocean County has charred 900 acres. It's been contained.
new jersey, brush fire, local news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide 9 min ago