Con Ed restores power after overload
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Break a few records on a hot summer day and you can break the power system.
That's what happened Tuesday, with Con Ed reduced power in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Power was also out in parts of Queens. All power though has been restored.
Record heat on Monday led to record usage, and Con Ed was forced to pull back the voltage to help avoid outages.
In Brooklyn, the utility reduced voltage by 8 percent. That affects about 123,000 customers in Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Windsor Terrace and Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Con Ed also reduced voltage 8 percent on the Upper West Side to combat problems and try to prevent any outages there, affecting about 78,000 customers in the area bordered by 111th Street, Central Park West, 71st Street and the Hudson River.
Con Ed crews repaired the equipment, and the company is asking customers to turn off lights they are not using and to avoid using appliances like washers, dryers and other energy-intensive equipment.
Con Edison urges customers to call 1-800-75-CONED promptly if they are experiencing any service difficulties. Customers can also report power interruptions or service problems, as well as view service restoration information online at ConEd.com, and on their cell phones and PDAs.
new york city, con ed, upper west side, brooklyn, local news, jamie roth
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 2 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 37 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 44 min ago