Con Ed restores power after overload
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Break a few records on a hot summer day and you can break the power system.
That's what happened Tuesday, with Con Ed reduced power in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Power was also out in parts of Queens. All power though has been restored.
Record heat on Monday led to record usage, and Con Ed was forced to pull back the voltage to help avoid outages.
In Brooklyn, the utility reduced voltage by 8 percent. That affects about 123,000 customers in Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Windsor Terrace and Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Con Ed also reduced voltage 8 percent on the Upper West Side to combat problems and try to prevent any outages there, affecting about 78,000 customers in the area bordered by 111th Street, Central Park West, 71st Street and the Hudson River.
Con Ed crews repaired the equipment, and the company is asking customers to turn off lights they are not using and to avoid using appliances like washers, dryers and other energy-intensive equipment.
Con Edison urges customers to call 1-800-75-CONED promptly if they are experiencing any service difficulties. Customers can also report power interruptions or service problems, as well as view service restoration information online at ConEd.com, and on their cell phones and PDAs.
new york city, con ed, upper west side, brooklyn, local news, jamie roth
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 22 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
22 min ago