9 hurt when NJ police chase ends in crash
TEANECK (WABC) -- A police chase in New Jersey came to a violent end Monday night.
According to police, the chase ended in a crash in Teaneck that injured nine people.
The chase began when a veteran police officer stopped a 1999 Nissan Maxima driven by John Delaney, after he went through two red lights, according to the Bergen County Prosecutor. Delaney is 48 years old and resides in Hillsdale.
After Delaney was stopped, he put his car into gear and drove off, according to police. Officers then pursued the car from Englewood, where it was originally stopped, to Teaneck.
At the intersection of West Englewood Avenue and Teaneck Road, Delaney attempted to make a turn, and crashed into a van was carrying seven people, ages 2 to 42 years old. Five people in the van received minor injuries. The van crashed into another car, with three passengers, two of which were injured and treated for minor injuries at Englewood Medical Center and Holy Name Hospital.
After the crash, Delaney continued to flee by driving on the sidewalk. He stopped a few blocks away and police took him into custody.
Delaney suffered minor injuries in the crash and was treated at Englewood Medical Center. According to police, when he was interviewed, he was determined to be under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
Following an investigation, Delaney has been charged with second degree eluding, seven counts of second degree aggravated assault while eluding, and seven counts of fourth degree assault by auto. Delaney has also been charged with DWI, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident, driving on the sidewalk, and failure to observe a stop sign.
Delaney was released on $150,000 bail. He appeared in court on Tuesday afternoon.
As per protocol, authorities are investigating to ensure all proper Attorney General Guidelines regarding police pursuits were followed.
new jersey, teaneck, police chase, local news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 14 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos