Jersey City not the place to watch Macy's fireworks
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- If you are hoping to catch the best views of the Macy's Fourth of July fireworks, don't go to Jersey City.
Jersey City is advising residents and people from the nearby area to go elsewhere to view the fireworks display. The Police Department feels that the view from Jersey City will be poor, so they do not want people to become disgruntled with their inability to see the display.
The Police Department is suggesting North Hudson, Hoboken, and Weehawken as better viewing locations.
Furthermore, state officials are urging people not to go to Liberty State Park to view the fireworks. Although the park will be open to 10 p.m., there will be no festivities and the view of the fireworks will be poor.
Last year, Jersey City's waterfront was packed because the city did its own fireworks show. This year, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy cancelled the fireworks. He plans on using the money for other events.
The Macy's fireworks are located on the Hudson River between 24th and 50th streets in New York City.
Jersey City has notified people not to come using Nixel, an automated system that sends e-mails and text messages to subscribers. The city also put up signs to notify residents.
Despite the messages from the city, Newport on Jersey City's waterfront, is trying to advertise itself as a great place to dine, shop and view the display.
new jersey, jersey city, 4th of july, macy's, fourth of july, local news
- ESPN: Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners 10 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case 12 min ago
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island 13 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 16 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- World Cup teams hoping for luck of the draw
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
16 min ago