Jersey City not the place to watch Macy's fireworks
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- If you are hoping to catch the best views of the Macy's Fourth of July fireworks, don't go to Jersey City.
Jersey City is advising residents and people from the nearby area to go elsewhere to view the fireworks display. The Police Department feels that the view from Jersey City will be poor, so they do not want people to become disgruntled with their inability to see the display.
The Police Department is suggesting North Hudson, Hoboken, and Weehawken as better viewing locations.
Furthermore, state officials are urging people not to go to Liberty State Park to view the fireworks. Although the park will be open to 10 p.m., there will be no festivities and the view of the fireworks will be poor.
Last year, Jersey City's waterfront was packed because the city did its own fireworks show. This year, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy cancelled the fireworks. He plans on using the money for other events.
The Macy's fireworks are located on the Hudson River between 24th and 50th streets in New York City.
Jersey City has notified people not to come using Nixel, an automated system that sends e-mails and text messages to subscribers. The city also put up signs to notify residents.
Despite the messages from the city, Newport on Jersey City's waterfront, is trying to advertise itself as a great place to dine, shop and view the display.
new jersey, jersey city, 4th of july, macy's, fourth of july, local news
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest 4 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos