Community on edge after murder of innocent NJ man
OLD BRIDGE, New Jersey (WABC) -- The vicious beating and murder of an author in Old Bridge, New Jersey has lead to concerns in the Asian Indian community.
Three teenagers are charged with killing the man who was on a walk with his family, and now police are reaching out to reassure residents.
You'd never know it by the looks of the quiet, upscale neighborhood but on the sidewalk, a violent crime took place, where 49-year-old Dr. Divyendu Sinha was beaten to death in front of his wife and two sons Friday night.
It took police just 18 hours to arrest and charge three 17-year-old high school athletes with murder.
Police say this incident was not a hate crime.
"This is not a racially and hate type crime what so ever," said Acting Chief Robert Bonfante.
The chief is asking residents, specifically in the Indian community to be vigilant with reporting even the smallest of incidents.
"Call us up if you see something. We are here 24/7, that's hat we are here for.. Call us up," he adds.
Kiran Desai runs the zoning board in town. He ran a public meeting as well, earlier this week. About 200 people showed up and some told stories of being verbally and physically abused because of their race, mostly by teens.
"When people are outside of their homes, in the backyard or front yard, or walking sometimes, they make a remark a racial kind of remark," he said.
But still, he doesn't think Dr. Sinha's murder was motivated by hate either.
The 3 teens are being held, and facing murder charges.
Their motive is still a mystery, which only adds to the anguish.
new jersey, murder, old bridge, local news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged 48 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China 17 min ago
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 27 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 41 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Third grader hit and killed by truck,...
48 min ago