L.I. man heads to prison for killing white teen
RIVERHEAD, New York (WABC) -- A black Long Island homeowner convicted of killing a white teenager during a group confrontation has surrendered to begin his prison term.
Surrounded by family and supporters, John White remained stoic as he spoke to the media during his final moments of freedom.
The 56-year-old made a brief and cryptic statement, before surrendering himself to the judge
White, clearly unhappy with the system, had been out on bail after appealing his conviction in 2007.
A Suffolk County jury found him guilty of manslaughter after he shot 17-year-old Daniel Cicciaro in the face.
It was back in 2006 when Cicciaro and a group of friends showed up at White's house in Miller Place.
They falsely accused his son, Aaron, of threatening to rape a girl, a mistake in judgment that proved costly.
After a confrontation with White in his driveway, Daniel Cicciaro was shot once and killed.
The victim's family says they've waited for justice long enough.
Since the beginning, the case has been racially charged.
Although Cicciaro's father did not comment Thursday, he made what was perceived as a threat during sentencing 2 years ago.
The White family claims they are still receiving death threats and insist he's a good man who was defending his family against what's been described as an angry lynch mob.
White is facing a max of 4 years behind bars but could be released in 20 months.
One mans justice proved to be another man's heartache.
Authorities said White should have called 911.
The state's highest court refused last week to hear White's latest appeal.
long island, local news, lauren defranco
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 24 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014