Power restored in Bronx apartment building
BRONX (WABC) -- Despite a cooler start to the day, some residents in the Bronx had to deal with new power problems.
It appears power cables gave out during the night in part of Mott Haven.
It was dark, not to mention hot.
While pockets of the city had outages during this long hot week due to a grid stressed by record-high power usage, on east 146th street, a fire knocked out the lights and AC..
Not only that, the fire caused a build up of carbon monoxide forcing residents to clear out
"I had to stay at my friend's house until the fire department decided we could go back inside the building," said Fernando Rivera.
Once the building was ventilated, neighbors knew their homes were safe.
"My house, it was blazing hot, everyone was hot and sweaty," said Luis Suss.
But by mid -morning, power was restored, meaning a good night's sleep is hopefully in someone's future.
Con Ed and housing authority electricians spent hours trying to fix the problem.
Neighbors just hope they won't have to suffer through another long hot night anytime soon.
new york city, bronx, con ed, local news
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 35 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 6 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 12 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Mom of Newtown victim recalls that painful day 17 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 4 min ago
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
35 min ago