Power restored in Bronx apartment building
BRONX (WABC) -- Despite a cooler start to the day, some residents in the Bronx had to deal with new power problems.
It appears power cables gave out during the night in part of Mott Haven.
It was dark, not to mention hot.
While pockets of the city had outages during this long hot week due to a grid stressed by record-high power usage, on east 146th street, a fire knocked out the lights and AC..
Not only that, the fire caused a build up of carbon monoxide forcing residents to clear out
"I had to stay at my friend's house until the fire department decided we could go back inside the building," said Fernando Rivera.
Once the building was ventilated, neighbors knew their homes were safe.
"My house, it was blazing hot, everyone was hot and sweaty," said Luis Suss.
But by mid -morning, power was restored, meaning a good night's sleep is hopefully in someone's future.
Con Ed and housing authority electricians spent hours trying to fix the problem.
Neighbors just hope they won't have to suffer through another long hot night anytime soon.
new york city, bronx, con ed, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 29 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 19 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 43 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos