Power restored in Bronx apartment building
BRONX (WABC) -- Despite a cooler start to the day, some residents in the Bronx had to deal with new power problems.
It appears power cables gave out during the night in part of Mott Haven.
It was dark, not to mention hot.
While pockets of the city had outages during this long hot week due to a grid stressed by record-high power usage, on east 146th street, a fire knocked out the lights and AC..
Not only that, the fire caused a build up of carbon monoxide forcing residents to clear out
"I had to stay at my friend's house until the fire department decided we could go back inside the building," said Fernando Rivera.
Once the building was ventilated, neighbors knew their homes were safe.
"My house, it was blazing hot, everyone was hot and sweaty," said Luis Suss.
But by mid -morning, power was restored, meaning a good night's sleep is hopefully in someone's future.
Con Ed and housing authority electricians spent hours trying to fix the problem.
Neighbors just hope they won't have to suffer through another long hot night anytime soon.
new york city, bronx, con ed, local news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos