Gun arrest at JFK Airport
QUEENS (WABC) -- A passenger unwittingly attempted to bring a handgun through security, causing a disruption at JFK Airport.
Investigators said Junior Antonio Almonte, 30, had the gun in his carry-on bag when a TSA screener at Terminal 5 spotted it just after 8:15 a.m. Wednesday morning.
When the TSA employee directed Almonte for a further screening, he apparently realized what was going on and ran.
Port Authority police reviewed surveillance video, which they said clearly shows Almonte running away from the terminal.
JetBlue cancelled eight flights and delayed six others while the incident was investigated.
Almonte later surrendered, accompanied by his lawyer.
Charges were pending and expected to be possession of a weapon and possession of stolen property.
Investigators believe Almonte did not realize he had the weapon in his luggage, and fled when he was confronted by the screener.
The incident is not believed to be terrorism related.
new york city, queens, jfk international airport, arrest, airport security, air travel, local news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway