Gun arrest at JFK Airport
QUEENS (WABC) -- A passenger unwittingly attempted to bring a handgun through security, causing a disruption at JFK Airport.
Investigators said Junior Antonio Almonte, 30, had the gun in his carry-on bag when a TSA screener at Terminal 5 spotted it just after 8:15 a.m. Wednesday morning.
When the TSA employee directed Almonte for a further screening, he apparently realized what was going on and ran.
Port Authority police reviewed surveillance video, which they said clearly shows Almonte running away from the terminal.
JetBlue cancelled eight flights and delayed six others while the incident was investigated.
Almonte later surrendered, accompanied by his lawyer.
Charges were pending and expected to be possession of a weapon and possession of stolen property.
Investigators believe Almonte did not realize he had the weapon in his luggage, and fled when he was confronted by the screener.
The incident is not believed to be terrorism related.
new york city, queens, jfk international airport, arrest, airport security, air travel, local news
- At least 6 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
8 min ago