Yankees plan tributes to Steinbrenner, Sheppard
NEW YORK (WABC) -- At Yankee Stadium Friday, players and fans will pay their respects to two men who were as much a part of Yankee history as any person who ever wore pinstripes.
It begins a weekend of tributes for owner George Steinbrenner and stadium announcer Bob Sheppard. Saturday is Old Timer's Day, when Yankee greats like Yogi Berra will joins fans in honoring both men.
Yankee Stadium has been quiet since Steinbrenner's and Sheppard's passing. Each was a Yankee legend is his own right.
On Friday night, as the second half of the baseball season begins, the Yankees and their fans will pay tribute to both icons. There will be a pregame video tribute to "The Boss," and both will be honored with a moment of silence.
Wreaths will be placed in front of Steinbrenner's statue and laid in front of Sheppard's plaque in Monument Park.
Sheppard, the team's longtime public address announcer, was laid to rest on Long Island Thursday.
"He lived a life in such a way that it's supposed to be lived, and the rest of us are sheer mortals in his presence," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.
The Yankees will wear patches on their uniforms, paying tribute to both men. A patch for Steinbrenner will be placed over the heart, and one for Sheppard on the left sleeve.
The deaths of both men were marked by all of baseball. There was even respect among rivals.
At Fenway Park Thursday night, the Red Sox held a moment of silence to honor both Steinbrenner and Sheppard.
A public memorial will be held at Yankee Stadium next week. Fans attending Friday night's game are asked to be in their seats by 6:45 p.m.
INTERACTION: SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON 'THE BOSS'
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to any of the following charities:
The Silver Shield Foundation
866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 307
New York, NY 10017
Special Operation Warrior Foundation
P.O. Box 13483
Tampa, FL 33681-3483
The Gold Shield Foundation of Tampa
P.O. Box 271791
Tampa, FL 33688-1791
Boys and Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay
1307 North MacDill Avenue
Tampa, FL 33607
In support of Bronx based Boys and Girls Clubs
Boys and Girls Club of America (Northeast)
5 Hanover Square, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004-2657
new york yankees, george steinbrenner, local news, jamie roth
- Fog blamed for long delays at area airports 35 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest 58 min ago
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Family demands answers in deadly police shooting 26 min ago
- Nigella Lawson again denies heavy drug use 58 min ago
- Graduation day for new class of FDNY firefighters
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos