Bandit armed with flowers linked to 2nd robbery
CHELSEA (WABC) -- Police are looking for a bandit who hid his demand note inside a bouquet of flowers and under a potted plant in two separate bank robberies.
It happened on Thursday, July 15th at 8:55 a.m. at the Bank of Smithtown on 7th Avenue in Chelsea.
Police say the man entered the bank carrying a bouquet of flowers and approached a teller.
He then removed a demand note from inside the bouquet of flowers and handed it to the teller.
The suspect said, "Give me all your $100's, 50's, don't be a hero."
The teller then handed the suspect an undisclosed amount of cash.
The robber then left the flowers behind and ran out of the bank.
He is described as a black man in around age 30-35. He's about 5'8" to 5'10", wearing a blue t-shirt, jeans and white sneakers.
Authorities have also linked a robbery on Thursday July 8 to the same bandit.
This one happened at 8:42 a.m. at a bank on West 23rd Street.
In that case, the suspect walked into bank carrying a potted plant, went to a teller and placed the plant on counter.
Underneath the plant was a demand note, but suspect never gave the note to the teller.
Instead, police said that the suspect told the teller, "Give me all your 100s and 50s, no dye pack, no bait money."
When the the teller opened her cash box, the bandit leaned over the counter, grabbed some money, and ran off with the cash and the plant.
He was wearing white t0shirt, black jeans and baseball cap in that case. No pictures were released.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
You can also submit your tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting your tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and then entering TIP577.
All calls are strictly confidential.
new york city, robbery, chelsea, manhattan, local news, sandra bookman
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 3 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 50 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 43 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 1 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 8 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 36 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
50 min ago