Deadly fire in Midwood, Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- One person was found dead after a fire broke out in a home in Midwood, Brooklyn, early Wednesday.
The fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. on East 35th Street, between Avenue J and Avenue K, near the border between Midwood and the Flatlands section of Brooklyn.
The two-story home suffered heavy damage from the fire, as did the building next door. Firefighters were able to enter the building and extinguish the flames rather quickly, but they discovered a body on the second floor of the house.
The victim, a 23-year-old man, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Other residents were able to escape the flames.
Authorities are investigating what caused the fire.
new york city, brooklyn, deadly fire, local news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 20 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
7 min ago