Officer struck by motorcycle walks into work
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- An NYPD officer who nearly died after he was hit by a motorcycle trying to catch a group of alleged car thieves returned to his Brooklyn precinct this morning.
The one person, who just knew this day would come, when Officer Carlos Olmedo returned to the 62nd precinct to a rousing welcome, was the officer himself.
"It's great to be here," he said.
He and his fellow officers, who surrounded him now for this special homecoming talk of miracles.
"We feared for the worst that we were going to lose him. For him to come to where he was and to where he is now is absolutely amazing," said Marlon Key, Olmedo's partner.
That May night with Officer Key was chasing alleged car thieves in Bensonhurst when suddenly he was suddenly struck by a motorcycle and critically injured.
"His progress has been amazing. It's great to have him walking around again," adds Officer Key.
Police Commissioner Kelly was on hand to welcome back Officer Olmedo.
"It's a testament to his tremendous courage. He has deep faith. And he has an amazing family," he said.
His wife Abigail and their son Jeremiah were on hand, as they continue to encourage his progress.
Olmedo is a four-year veteran of the force and a married father of three children, ages one, six and eight.
bensonhurst, brooklyn, new york city, accident, police chase, police accident, police, local news, tim fleischer
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 25 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 12 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
28 min ago