Gasoline tanker crash prompts evacuation on LI
WOODMERE -- About 45 homes were evacuated in a neighborhood in southeastern Nassau County after a gasoline tanker truck crashed and leaked about 2,000 gallons onto a local street.
Nassau County Police say the crash happened at about 6 a.m. Thursday in Woodmere.
Details of the accident were not immediately available, but police believe the tanker hit a tree and flipped, leaking the gasoline. Police say there was no indication the driver was injured.
A faint smell of gasoline permeated the area several hours after the crash. Police expected the residents of the evacuated homes to return by early afternoon.
long island, local news
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 3 min ago
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 24 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
20 min ago