Court day for teen charged in videotaped attack
SUMMIT (WABC) -- A teen charged with manslaughter in an attack on a man sitting on a bench waived his right to appear in court Friday.
Only the prosecutor and public defender were present at a hearing for 18-year-old Khayri Williams-Clark, who is being held on $100,000 bail.
The attack took place in Summit, New Jersey, and the video was obtained exclusively by Eyewitness News.
New information suggests that at least a dozen young men were present when Williams-Clark and an identified minor allegedly orchestrated the fatal beating of 47-year-old Abelino Mazaniego.
Police say Williams-Clark held a sheet in front of Mazaniego's face while the intoxicated victim sat on a bench. The second teen, who had sat down next to Mazaniego, stood up and punched him twice in the face.
The victim never regained consciousness and died 72 hours later.
Investigators believe Mazaniego was attacked because the teenagers wanted to make a video.
Mazaniego lived in town and had worked as a dishwasher at the local Indian restaurant for three years.
The brutality of the attack left residents stunned.
The county prosecutor's office is still working to identify the person who shot the video, which investigators say was e-mailed to several teenagers in the days that followed the attack.
Anyone with information regarding the attack is urged to contact Homicide Task Force Detective Patrick Bradley at (908) 527-4152 or Summit Police Department Sgt. Michael Rabasca (908) 277-9389.
new jersey, union, crime, assault, arrest, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 37 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 27 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 51 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos