NYC looks to exterminate Canada geese
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York state is hoping to kill tens of thousands of Canada geese in and around the five boroughs.
There are between 20,000 and 25,000 geese in the New York Metropolitan area. That is five times what is considered an acceptable level.
Last year, geese flew into both engines of a U.S. Airways plane, forcing it to make an emergency landing in the Hudson river.
The state hopes to reduce the population during hunting season.
But two weeks ago, a program that gassed 400 geese to death in Brooklyn's Prospect Park sparked outrage.
new york city, animals, miracle on the hudson, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 13 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 59 min ago
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 26 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos