NYC looks to exterminate Canada geese
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York state is hoping to kill tens of thousands of Canada geese in and around the five boroughs.
There are between 20,000 and 25,000 geese in the New York Metropolitan area. That is five times what is considered an acceptable level.
Last year, geese flew into both engines of a U.S. Airways plane, forcing it to make an emergency landing in the Hudson river.
The state hopes to reduce the population during hunting season.
But two weeks ago, a program that gassed 400 geese to death in Brooklyn's Prospect Park sparked outrage.
new york city, animals, miracle on the hudson, local news
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- George Zimmerman's parents sue Roseanne Barr
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000