Man fatally shot during Brooklyn home invasion
CANARSIE (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a man found inside his basement apartment in Brooklyn.
The victim was found shot to death early Thursday in an apparent home invasion.
The incident happened just after 1 a.m. on the corner of East 86th Street and Avenue K in Canarsie. A day care center is located on the first floor, but everyone was asleep when the suspects burst in.
Relatives identify the victim as 60-year-old Stevenson Blackett, who owns a plumbing business in the area. Family members were standing vigil outside the home, stunned by what happened.
Police say he was sleeping on the basement level, while his wife and grandchildren were sleeping on another level. The invaders reportedly entered through the back door and went directly to where Blackett was sleeping, where they shot him twice in the head.
Family members say he was also tied up.
"They shot him in the head, twice," daughter Terrel Blackett said, holding back tears. "So we don't know...We know they came in through the back door. They broke the mesh and turned the key and came in the house. That's all we know right now."
Police believe it may have been a botched robbery, but they have not ruled out that Blackett was targeted.
new york city, brooklyn, carnarsie, home invasion, murder, local news, anthony johnson
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 47 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 4 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos