Child fatally struck, mother also hit by MTA tow truck
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An MTA tow truck struck a mother and her seven-year-old son crossing the street just after 9 a.m. Friday.
The victims were struck while crossing at Second Avenue and East 125th Street
Both were taken to Harlem Hospital, where the seven-year-old was pronounced dead.
The woman is in stable condition.
The accident happened on the ramp that leads to the RFK Bridge.
The tow truck was heading to assist a disabled vehicle on the bridge right when the mother and young boy were crossing the street.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the driver probably never saw the two crossing the street. The tow truck is operated by the MTA Bridges & Tunnels.
The driver is being interviewed, but no criminality is suspected.
new york city, local news
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 31 min ago
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor 8 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease 53 min ago
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate 57 min ago
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos