Child fatally struck, mother also hit by MTA tow truck
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An MTA tow truck struck a mother and her seven-year-old son crossing the street just after 9 a.m. Friday.
The victims were struck while crossing at Second Avenue and East 125th Street
Both were taken to Harlem Hospital, where the seven-year-old was pronounced dead.
The woman is in stable condition.
The accident happened on the ramp that leads to the RFK Bridge.
The tow truck was heading to assist a disabled vehicle on the bridge right when the mother and young boy were crossing the street.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the driver probably never saw the two crossing the street. The tow truck is operated by the MTA Bridges & Tunnels.
The driver is being interviewed, but no criminality is suspected.
new york city, local news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls 13 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 43 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos