Child fatally struck, mother also hit by MTA tow truck
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An MTA tow truck struck a mother and her seven-year-old son crossing the street just after 9 a.m. Friday.
The victims were struck while crossing at Second Avenue and East 125th Street
Both were taken to Harlem Hospital, where the seven-year-old was pronounced dead.
The woman is in stable condition.
The accident happened on the ramp that leads to the RFK Bridge.
The tow truck was heading to assist a disabled vehicle on the bridge right when the mother and young boy were crossing the street.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the driver probably never saw the two crossing the street. The tow truck is operated by the MTA Bridges & Tunnels.
The driver is being interviewed, but no criminality is suspected.
new york city, local news
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Jersey City reveals what was inside mysterious safes
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos