Child fatally struck, mother also hit by MTA tow truck
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An MTA tow truck struck a mother and her seven-year-old son crossing the street just after 9 a.m. Friday.
The victims were struck while crossing at Second Avenue and East 125th Street
Both were taken to Harlem Hospital, where the seven-year-old was pronounced dead.
The woman is in stable condition.
The accident happened on the ramp that leads to the RFK Bridge.
The tow truck was heading to assist a disabled vehicle on the bridge right when the mother and young boy were crossing the street.
Sources tell Eyewitness News the driver probably never saw the two crossing the street. The tow truck is operated by the MTA Bridges & Tunnels.
The driver is being interviewed, but no criminality is suspected.
new york city, local news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 31 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos