Trooper shoots suspect in Bay Shore
BAY SHORE, NY (WABC) -- A State trooper on Long Island shot a man who had allegedly attacked him during a traffic stop, and attempted to steal another man's motorcycle.
It happened just before 8 a.m. on Sunday in the Town of Islip.
A uniformed Trooper was conducting speed enforcement on the Robert Moses Causeway when he saw a 2009 Red Hyundai Sonata speeding.
When the trooper attempted to pull the car over, the driver sped away.
The trooper chased after the suspect, 49-year-old Allen Nelson, until the car got a flat tire at Pine Street and Montauk Drive in Bay Shore.
Police say that's when Nelson got out of his car and attacked the trooper.
The trooper apparently sustained injuries to his face and neck.
That's when the trooper pulled out his gun and shot Nelson in the shoulder.
The suspect then ran away onto Chenango Drive.
Investigators say he then attempted to carjack a motorcycle from another man.
The trooper found the men in the middle of a violent struggle, and was able to place Nelson under arrest.
The suspect, trooper, and motorcycle driver were all injured, but none of their injuries are considered to be life-threatening.
long island, police shooting, bay shore, local news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos