Trooper shoots suspect in Bay Shore
BAY SHORE, NY (WABC) -- A State trooper on Long Island shot a man who had allegedly attacked him during a traffic stop, and attempted to steal another man's motorcycle.
It happened just before 8 a.m. on Sunday in the Town of Islip.
A uniformed Trooper was conducting speed enforcement on the Robert Moses Causeway when he saw a 2009 Red Hyundai Sonata speeding.
When the trooper attempted to pull the car over, the driver sped away.
The trooper chased after the suspect, 49-year-old Allen Nelson, until the car got a flat tire at Pine Street and Montauk Drive in Bay Shore.
Police say that's when Nelson got out of his car and attacked the trooper.
The trooper apparently sustained injuries to his face and neck.
That's when the trooper pulled out his gun and shot Nelson in the shoulder.
The suspect then ran away onto Chenango Drive.
Investigators say he then attempted to carjack a motorcycle from another man.
The trooper found the men in the middle of a violent struggle, and was able to place Nelson under arrest.
The suspect, trooper, and motorcycle driver were all injured, but none of their injuries are considered to be life-threatening.
long island, police shooting, bay shore, local news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos