Survivors' story after a family tragedy
HEMPSTEAD, NY (WABC) -- Eyewitness News takes an emotional look at a family tragedy from the perspective of those who were held hostage and shot by a veteran Nassau County Correction Officer.
Kim Wolfe is accused of killing her uncle and her ex-girlfriend, shooting her grandfather and kidnapping her niece.
"What has happened has happened. Can't bring it back. It's gone," Marshall Williams said.
88-year-old Marshall Williams, Sr. has nothing but time, time to think about the shooting rampage that led to the death of his son, allegedly at the hands of his granddaughter.
"She had actually lost her mind I thought," he said.
It was a rude awakening in the middle of the night, back in June.
Police say Nassau County Correction Officer Kim Wolfe gunned down her former lover, Stacie Williams, at Nassau University Medical Center, where she worked as a nurse.
Wolfe then drove a few miles to her family's house in Hempstead.
When her grandfather saw she had a gun, he called his son, Marshall, Jr., to reason with her.
"Junior said Kim, don't you think you're in enough trouble. Bew, bew, bew. When he fell I moved and she looked at me, bam, bam. You know and that was it. Anything else, I can't tell you. Because there was no argument or nothing," Williams said.
Marshall, Jr. was dead. Marshall, Sr. was bleeding heavily from a wound to the leg.
He says he was helpless to stop Wolfe from grabbing another family member, Mary Josey, and taking her hostage on a flight for freedom in Atlantic City.
"I truly thought in my mind that I was going to die. I thought I was going to die," Mary Josey, the suspect's niece said.
In the end, cops convinced Wolfe to give up.
She's now facing two counts of murder, and a judge recently ordered a psychiatric evaluation.
Her grandfather is convinced there's only one reason she'd ever cause this much pain.
"I can't be mad with her for one simple reason. I feel like she just snapped. I could snap, you could snap. When your cup filleth up it's going to run over," Williams said.
long island, shooting, hostage, hostage situation, local news, josh einiger
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 20 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
16 min ago