NJ teen charged with cyber-bullying
ANNANDALE, NJ (WABC) -- An Annandale teen is facing charges for cyber-bullying after sending a message on Facebook.
Investigators claim the message was so bad, they're calling it harassment.
Police say, the harassment began and continued on Facebook. A 15-year-old girl posted several threatening comments on another teen's page. Eventually the girl was charged and will head to juvenile court.
High school senior, Syndey Rowe, has become accustomed to cyber-bullying as a part of school life.
"It causes a lot of drama girls get it in their heads and it affects their self confidence," said Rowe.
Dave Steffan, the principal of Voorhees High School, couldn't reveal whether the teen charged attends his school, but he did tell Eyewitness News this kind of harassment happens almost daily.
"We have a zero-tolerance policy. But as the access to the internet grows, the problem gets bigger" said Steffan.
"I call it Facebook muscles or text muscles," said Ron Peterson, assistant principal.
"Another person will write 'you're a slut or a whore' and then they will talk about how they are ugly and just looking for attention," said Ben Stine, North Hunterdon High School Junior.
Their school resource officer Tom Hash is a detective at Clinton Township police. He tries his best to make kids realize there are serious consequences to their actions.
"If you wouldn't send it to your mom or dad, don't send it. Think before you do it," said Hash.
Hash's words seem like good advice, but in the world of adolescence, advice doesn't always matter.
new jersey, facebook, new jersey state police, arrest, local news, phil lipof
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 9 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 33 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 6 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 29 min ago