Rallies held in Staten Island against bias crimes
PORT RICHMOND (WABC) -- A day full of rallies was held to combat hate crimes in Staten Island.
It's been a long day of promoting diversity in Staten Island for the members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
The group held anti-hate rallies at 2 a.m. and noon, culminating with a third at Borough Hall Saturday evening.
"Staten Island needs to unite and not be so divided. We're a small borough, we should come together," said Rose Ellicott of Staten Island Pride.
They held signs in English and Spanish, lit candles, and marched more than a mile to White Castle on Bay Street.
Exactly one month ago, a gay couple was beat up there, while their attacker yelled gay slurs.
"We're standing up for our rights, and not be afraid to enjoy our streets," said Kathy Mallien-Delucia, a Tottenville resident.
The Guardian Angels stood in solidarity and the NYPD passed out information about hate crimes.
Ten Mexican immigrants have been attacked in Port Richmond since May.
"It's distressing to see the people of Hispanic origin get attacked on the streets," said Angel Love Figureoa, a Castleton Corners resident.
While the majority of the victims have been Mexican immigrants, the three Saturday rallies were organized and mainly attended by the LGBT community.
"It's very important to stand with others who have been victimized," said Assemblyman Matthew Titone of the 64th District.
new york city, hate crime, staten island, local news, darla miles
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 58 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 51 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park