Vows for justice in NJ child rape falling short
TRENTON, N.J. -- It's been nearly five months since police said a 7-year-old Trenton girl was sold for sex by her 15-year-old sister and gang-raped in a vacant apartment. Now it appears that vows for legal vengeance are falling short.
The stepsister, two men and three juveniles were quickly arrested.
But prosecutors are not trying the kids as adults, as they initially planned. Also, police say they don't have enough evidence to make more arrests.
The little girl's stepfather spoke out in defense of three of those charged and DNA tests showed no semen on the child.
Prosecutors offered the juveniles plea deals to testify against the adults.
So far, no one has pleaded guilty.
Defense attorneys say the case is falling apart. Prosecutors say they plan to bring it to a grand jury soon.
new jersey, child sex assault, trenton, local news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 40 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 53 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos