Vows for justice in NJ child rape falling short
TRENTON, N.J. -- It's been nearly five months since police said a 7-year-old Trenton girl was sold for sex by her 15-year-old sister and gang-raped in a vacant apartment. Now it appears that vows for legal vengeance are falling short.
The stepsister, two men and three juveniles were quickly arrested.
But prosecutors are not trying the kids as adults, as they initially planned. Also, police say they don't have enough evidence to make more arrests.
The little girl's stepfather spoke out in defense of three of those charged and DNA tests showed no semen on the child.
Prosecutors offered the juveniles plea deals to testify against the adults.
So far, no one has pleaded guilty.
Defense attorneys say the case is falling apart. Prosecutors say they plan to bring it to a grand jury soon.
new jersey, child sex assault, trenton, local news
- At least 3 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape