Vows for justice in NJ child rape falling short
TRENTON, N.J. -- It's been nearly five months since police said a 7-year-old Trenton girl was sold for sex by her 15-year-old sister and gang-raped in a vacant apartment. Now it appears that vows for legal vengeance are falling short.
The stepsister, two men and three juveniles were quickly arrested.
But prosecutors are not trying the kids as adults, as they initially planned. Also, police say they don't have enough evidence to make more arrests.
The little girl's stepfather spoke out in defense of three of those charged and DNA tests showed no semen on the child.
Prosecutors offered the juveniles plea deals to testify against the adults.
So far, no one has pleaded guilty.
Defense attorneys say the case is falling apart. Prosecutors say they plan to bring it to a grand jury soon.
new jersey, child sex assault, trenton, local news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos