Suspect sought in wheelchair theft
EAST SIDE (WABC) -- The NYPD is looking for the bandit who walked off with a senior citizen's wheelchair.
The 68-year-old victim, visiting from Florida, was having dinner with family at the Palm Too restaurant on 2nd Avenue on the East Side.
Investigators said the suspect took the motorized wheelchair, which the victim left outside of the restaurant on the sidewalk.
The theft happened on July 20 between 7:30 and 8:15 p.m.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic man, 25-30 years old, 5'8"-5'10", 160-170 lbs., with short, dark hair, wearing a blue shirt, light-colored pants and white sneakers.
The stolen wheelchair is a model "Jet 3 Ultra" made by Pride and is blue and black in color. It has not been recovered.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS (8477). You can also submit tips by logging onto Crime Stoppers' website at www.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.com or by texting tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577.
new york city, east side, crime, theft, local news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide