Death of woman in NJ house fire ruled homicide
TEANECK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a 74-year-old woman who they say was killed before her house was set on fire.
Investigators worked into the night looking for answers.
Everything about the murder of Joan Davis has rocked the suburban community.
"Now that I hear it's a homicide, I'm shocked," resident Joel Marks said. "In Teaneck? It doesn't happen here."
It happened sometime Tuesday night. Firefighters responded to flames at 976 Alpine Drive and found Davis' body inside.
But it turned out the fire was part of the cover up.
Investigators believe someone killed Davis and then set the fire to hide the crime.
Davis had developed a reputation in Teaneck. At council meetings, she was feisty and one of the most vocal members of the community. She told neighbors she was a retired professor from Fairleigh Dickinson University, but the University issued the following statement:
According to university records, the person in question, Joan Davis, was never an employee of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
"Everyone knew when it was time to speak, Joan was first," neighbor Iris said. "She would challenge them on what the right thing to do was."
Neighbors say she always pushed for saving town money, did her research and kept council members on their toes.
Davis spent her life asking tough questions. Now, detectives and friends are doing the same.
"It's a shock, and it's also a mystery," Iris said. "What happened?"
Why her? Who killed her? That's what police and Davis' neighbors want to know now.
Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call police.
new jersey, teaneck, deadly fire, local news, jeff pegues
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 1 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 58 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
14 min ago